Friday, August 20, 2010

TEN

Where has the time gone?
My first baby, "T" turned ten years old on Tuesday.
This makes me panicky.
Have I taught him everything he should know in this ten years?
I feel like I need to step it up a notch and really focus on teaching him more.
Eight years is all I have until he goes off to college.
Eight short years.

In the book " The Parenting Breakthrough" it says he should be:

Doing his own laundry
Setting personal goals---check
Play a musical instrument---check
Maintain personal journal---check
Participate in Exercise---check
Clean Stove
Clean Oven
Make several kinds of salad (do pancakes count?)
Understand Basic Nutrition---check
Use a leaf blower
Plant plants
Use the phone---check
Know Articles of Faith----half check
Write Creatively---half check

"T" can do a lot of things not listed, but I obviously still have some work to do.
I love this book, but I do find it a little over the top in some aspects.
I like that it has a list of things your kids should know by different ages though, because it gives me goals to work towards with my children.
Have you read it? Do you like it?
Do you have a ten year old that does all these things?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday T! Hey you should add, writing with a fountain pen...hope he likes it and learns to use it, he will NEVER GO back to the other ones....it was fun spending time with you guys...we love you ohhhh so very much. And miss you believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, good post. Does my ten year old do all of these things? We don't own a leaf blower. It is SO hard for me to have my kids do their own laundry because I am never caught up enough to have open time for them to do it. I am still struggling with trying to get Lauren to do her own laundry. Let me know when you figure this one out! I do love this book. I need to review it like you do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails