Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Train Ride of Life

One of my girlfriends once commented that life is like being on a fast moving train and sometimes you just have to jump off.  That analogy has stuck with me and I think about it often.

Being a mother of five means life never slows down, so occasionally I have to jump off, if only for an hour, or two and if I'm really lucky, a day. 


Jumping off the train means not thinking or worrying about all my responsibilities for a time.  It means focusing on the people I love the most.
fast-moving-trainLast night I did just that, when the husbird and I watched a great show called "Departures." Have you seen it? It's a Japanese film with subtitles and so worth the extra effort. It reminded me of the things that are truly important in life instead of the little things that often consume my time and energy.

Sometimes I don't realize how bad I need a break from the full, fast paced train ride of life. I lose perspective and can't see the forest from the trees. It's only when I get off the train that I can really see my children and hear their laughter and see their needs.


If only life afforded me more moments to pause. If only the train stopped on its own and the doors opened signaling me to get off and look around at all the things I have to be grateful for. Then life would be more meaningful and less mundane.

The train is moving faster than I'd like and life is passing me by without me even noticing sometimes. I wish I could slow the train, but since time doesn't stop I'll have to try to make the rests I get count more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails