Saturday, March 9, 2013

Soap in the Mouth

Did your parents do this to you?  Mine did.  It's not a usual practice at our nest, but when patience was short today and words we don't like to hear in our home were spoken, two of the nestlings got to hold soap in their mouth for a minute while they thought about their choice of words.  I realize "stupid" and "shut-up" aren't the worst words that could be spoken, but after they were repeatedly reminded and we heard those words over again and again something had to be done so the "nestlings" can learn to talk kindly to one another.
photo
Junior High has been an interesting challenge, because sadly a lot of the students use foul language, so when "T" tells a sibling to "shut-up" and I reprimand him, he tells me he could use far worse words.  Anyone deal with this?  Is "shut-up" and calling someone "stupid" acceptable or not in your home?  What do you do when your kids use offensive words?

6 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, i haven't HAD TO USE THE SOAP, BUT i HAVE HAD TO WATCH MY WORDS AROUND THE KIDS.........SHOCKING WHEN THEY SAY SOMETHING THEY HEARD.........ALEXEI TOLD MY MOM IN ROCKY POINT, THAT SOMETIMES HE HEARS THEM FROM FRIENDS, AND THAT WHEN HE GETS MAD, THEY COMME TO HIS MIND, AND IT IS A CHALLENGE TO NOT LET THEM OUT...I LOVE THE WAY HE TALKS TO MY MOM.....HE EXPRESSES HIMSELF SOO WELL, i SHOULD REALLY TAKE A MINUTE TO STOP AND LISTEN TO THEM....THE DOCTOR TOLD ME YOU KNOW.....YOU NEED TO ASK AND LISTEN ASK THEM THINGS AND LISTEN..THAT IS THE WAY TO GO...........INSTEAD OF TELLING THEM WHAT TO DO ..TELLING THEM. BE TOLD BE TOLD BE TOLD BE TOLD YOU SEE....MAGIC...I WAS TOLD SO I AM NOT IN THE HANG OF ASKING EITHER........GOOD TIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two oldest have been calling each other not my favorite names and they tell me it is just a joke and kind of roll their eyes at me. I DON'T like it. I just keep insisting and insisting. I'm going to use a bar of soap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems happy though :) Why is he shaking his hands?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He seems happy though :) Why is he shaking his hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably aggravated by the taste

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails