Friday, April 13, 2012

Comparison is the Thief of Joy

(tulips the "husbird" planted)
A sweet friend that I don't see often took me to lunch for my birthday in March.
Unfortunately the day we went I had to take two tagalongs with me, mister "D" and "G". As we caught up and talked I couldn't help but compare my life to hers.
She told me about how she has a lady come in and clean twice a week so she can have time for herself. I thought about how I can't relate.
"D" kept telling me he didn't like his food and baby "G" was done eating and proceeded to bang his utensils on the table. Both of them were making it really hard to have a conversation, let alone a meaningful one. Baby "G" started to cry and so I took him out of his high chair and he grabbed for my glass that the waiter had just filled to the brim and in a split second he pulled it over, onto my lap.
I got a chilly surprise as it tumbled down dripping everywhere.
I looked like I had peed my pants.
I did my best to wipe it up with my non-absorbent napkin as all the servers about didn't seem to notice or care. I was done trying to have a nice lunch with a friend, so we gathered our things and I wrangled my kids and left. She departed to the mall to go dress shopping and I departed deflated to my messy house where I plopped myself down on my couch exhausted from my lunch experience. I sat and felt sorry for myself as I looked around at all the work that was mine and the little people I had to take care of. I thought of my friends care free life who has kids in school all day and spends her time getting her hair and nails done, and shopping.
We live two completely different lifestyles, which is fine, but in that moment I wanted to be living hers. I fell into the temporary trap of comparison and it was stealing the joy from the blessed life I live. It's just a different life of which I am back to being grateful for since I got my feet back under me and gained my perspective back.
Do you ever fall into the comparison trap or do you keep good perspective about your life no matter the situation?

1 comment:

  1. This is a day that I wish so much you would have called me and asked me to watch the boys! It would have been the perfect birthday gift. I am so sorry. I fall into this trap all the time. I almost went there tonight when my cousin was showing me this adorable dress she had just made for her daughter--she just pulled out some hip fabric she keeps and copied another dress. I have to decide to be grateful for what I can do and what I do have. I thought that Elder Holland's talk at conference was just for me. God's wages for me are more than generous over and over again. It is a long life if I spend it jealous every time another person in this world is also blessed. Your post is so beautiful. You are such a good writer. I love your careful reflections on motherhood. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails